If there’s one thing that every homeowner wants to do, it’s to lower monthly energy bills. Unfortunately, saving money or energy can be a bit tricky when you’re doing things that waste energy without you even realizing it. In fact, here are a handful of energy wasters that could be driving up your energy costs right now:
- Outdated HVAC equipment – Your home’s HVAC system, whether it’s a furnace, heat pump or something else, contributes a lot of energy usage. Newer HVAC systems are much more efficient than older models, so replacement could be quite beneficial to your monthly bills. For the best results, look for the Energy Star or Most Efficient label.
- Lack of regular maintenance – One of the best ways to keep the system running efficiently is to hire a qualified technician to perform a tune-up each year. This will also help the HVAC system function for a longer period of time. Other forms of regular maintenance that you can perform yourself include changing the air filter and sealing air leaks around the edges of your doors and windows with weatherstripping.
- Insufficient insulation – Without proper insulation, heat will leak out of your home during the winter season. When this happens, your home’s furnace or other heating equipment will be forced to run longer than needed, which can lead to a heavy amount of energy waste.
- Using old appliances – Older appliances use more energy than most current models, so it’s important to look for the Energy Star label when you’re replacing something. The more efficient the model, the more you’ll save for years to come.
- Incandescent bulbs – Traditional bulbs should be a rarity since new types such as compact fluorescent lamps (CFLs) and light-emitting diodes (LEDs) use much less energy. But some homeowners still haven’t given up their own bulbs. Do yourself a favor and switch them out.
For more expert advice on saving money or energy, or if you have any questions related to home comfort, please be sure to contact the friendly professionals at Aqua Plumbing & Air. We’ve been serving the needs of Sarasota and the surrounding area since 1974.