In the typical Sarasota, Fla., home, pipes are exposed to grease, soap residue, minerals and other material that, over time, form a grimy buildup. Eventually, this buildup can become thick enough to block the flow of water. Drain snakes and chemical cleaners can usually open your clogged drains. When they can’t, though, hydro jetting may be in order.
Hydro jetting is a method of spraying the pipe interior with high-pressure jets of water that blast away buildup and debris. The equipment used, called a hydro jetter, consists of a water tank and a hose with a nozzle specially designed to deliver powerful jets of water.
There are two times when the use of a hydro jetter is most appropriate:
- Stubborn clogs – Usually a hydro jetter is brought in only when drain snaking and applying liquid drain cleaning chemicals have failed to clear the blockage.
- Before pipe lining – Pipe lining involves applying epoxy to the inside of a pipe to seal leaks or stop corrosion. For the epoxy to bond with the pipe correctly, the pipe must be cleaned of any buildup or debris.
Benefits of hydro jetting
- Thorough cleaning – An electric drain snake uses a turning, corkscrew-like wire to cut a path through the buildup. While this gets rid of blockages, it doesn’t remove all of the buildup. Chemical drain openers usually can’t break through solid clogs. Hydro jetting not only breaks up solid clogs and roots, but it also flushes away sludge and mineral deposits.
- Little risk of damage – A drain snake’s turning wire can crack pipes, while chemical cleaners can soften PVC pipes. Water jetters spray water at a pressure carefully calibrated to break up debris without harming the pipes. Only pure water is used, so there’s no risk of pipe damage.
- Assured safety – Strong drain cleaners use caustic chemicals like sodium hydroxide (lye) or sulfuric acid. A hydro jetter requires nothing but water to clean your pipes.
If you’re having trouble with a stubborn or recurring pipe blockage or you’d like more information on hydro jetting, contact us at Aqua Plumbing & Air. We’ve been providing dependable plumbing services in the Sarasota area for more than 37 years.