If you want to save money on your energy bills but you’re not a big fan of sacrificing comfort, consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat to achieve both. You may just discover for yourself that programmable thermostats link home comfort, energy savings and convenience.
Selection and Installation Tips
It’s important to select the right thermostat for your needs and make sure it’s installed for maximum performance. Here’s a few tips:
- If your daily schedule varies or if you have an active household, select a thermostat that offers a different program for each day of the week, knowns as a 7-day model.
- Many Sarasota and Bradenton homeowners use heat pump systems for home cooling and heating. If you use a heat pump too, select a heat pump-compatible thermostat that offers intelligent recovery startup. This feature brings your home to temperature after a turn-back period (during the heating months) without activating expensive backup electric-resistance heating.
- Install a new programmable thermostat on an interior wall in a central area away from lighting, direct sunlight and drafts.
Thermostat Settings Best Practices
Of course, the best programmable thermostat with all the latest features won’t save you a penny on energy bills if you don’t use it correctly for comfort and savings. Consider the following operating tips for enjoying a comfortable and saving energy at opportune times:
- Consistency is key to comfortable energy savings. Start with moderate turn-back/up temperatures, and adjust accordingly. In this way, you may not be as tempted to use the “hold” feature to override program settings.
- Use working hours and other scheduled times away from home for maximum savings. The average home may save about 1 percent energy costs for each degree turn-back/up period (8-hour block). For instance, if your program setting increases temperature by 10 degrees while you’re at work, you’ll save about 10 percent cooling costs. Program 4- to 7-degree temperature increases during sleeping hours for more savings.
- If you have a zoning system, use a programmable thermostat for each zone to maximize comfort, savings and convenience.
For assistance selecting a programmable thermostat, please contact Aqua Plumbing & Air today.