The holidays are fast approaching, and you know what that means — more cooking, dirty dishes, and full sinks. Your garbage disposal will get a workout between all the holiday preparation and meals in your Sarasota, Florida, home. You can keep it running well with these tips and tricks.
What Not To Put In Your Garbage Disposal
The best way to make sure your disposal works when you need it is to use it correctly.
- Don’t throw celery, artichokes, corn husks, onion skins, and other fibrous foods down the drain. The fibers can get wrapped around the blades.
- Don’t use the disposal for any food that gets bigger when you add water to it like potatoes, pasta, and rice.
- Don’t throw oil and grease down the drain. It can clog your drains and coat the blades.
- Never put anything that’s not a food item down the disposal. It’s not meant to handle non-food materials, and you could break it right when you need it most.
What To Do When Your Garbage Disposal Isn’t Working Well
No matter how careful you are, eventually your disposal will drain slowly, smell, and just not work as well as you need it to. There are a few things you can do to help correct these issues.
- Use cold water. It will harden the food so it’s easier for the blades to grind.
- Add lemons or oranges to your disposal with warm (never hot) water to get rid of odors. The peel helps clean the blades, too.
- Run the disposal longer than you think you should. Make sure the water is still running, as well. This will clear out the drain.
- Throw ice or rock salt down the drain once a week to clean out the small holes in the blades.
With these easy tricks, you can keep your garbage disposal running smoothly when you need it most.
Is your garbage disposal giving you problems, no matter what you do? Give Aqua Plumbing and Air of Sarasota a call today at (941) 306-3715.
Image provided by Shutterstock