Technology is an important part of today’s lifestyle. It provides dazzling entertainment, impressive computing capabilities and unmatched touch-of-a-button convenience. However, all of these power-hungry devices may be burdening the electrical system in your Sarasota home. If you trip circuit breakers, run out of receptacles or rely on power strips, it’s time for electrical upgrades.
Is Your Electrical System Overloaded?
Overloaded circuits are inconvenient, but they’re also a top cause of electrical fires. Standard 15-amp circuits can handle a maximum load of 1,500 watts, and 20-amp circuits can provide up to 1,900 watts of power. Unfortunately, one breaker may link several outlets and fixtures, which makes it difficult to gauge your power use.
Electrical Upgrades for Existing Homes
In Sarasota, the average home was built roughly 40 years ago. During this time, electrical codes have changed, and the popularity of household electronics has surged. At Aqua Plumbing & Air, here’s what we look for when assessing clients’ electrical needs.
- Refrigerators, microwaves and major appliances should have a dedicated circuit with the correct rating and wiring.
- Outlets should be in good condition, be properly sized and have appropriate features for the location, such as GFCIs in damp areas.
- Electrical panel updates let you add new circuits or replace ones that are undersized or defective.
- USB outlets and expanded quad plex receptacles are ideal for charging devices or powering electronics in a media room or home office.
- Smart light switches and fixtures can communicate with your phone or integrate with your automation network while reducing your energy use.
- Exterior upgrades can power low-voltage landscape lights, smart security devices and weatherproof outlets.
Benefits of Updating Your Home’s Electrical System
Electrical upgrades can protect your appliances, address safety concerns and make your home more livable. If you plan on selling, it’s worth noting that electrical improvements are a priority for more than 40% of home buyers.
At Aqua Plumbing & Air, our electricians specialize in energy-efficient upgrades that benefit your family. You can learn more about our electrical services online or by calling 941-306-3715.