You’re no doubt accustomed to the everyday noises your A/C makes when it’s operating normally. If you’re hearing unusual sounds, though, you may have a problem that needs professional attention. It’s wise to have an HVAC pro diagnose the source of these troublesome A/C noises:
- Buzzing. If you’re hearing buzzing but can’t pinpoint where it’s coming from, there could be an issue with the system’s electrical components. An electrical problem with the contacts, thermostat, circuit breaker or compressor relay switches can cause a fire and should be checked out immediately.
- Bubbling and/or gurgling. Sounds like these that emanate from the refrigerant lines or compressor are typically caused by a leak. Having a technician repair the leak and recharge the refrigerant can prevent serious compressor damage, and keep the system operating efficiently at full capacity.
- Clanking or rattling. You’re likely to hear this type of noise when a fan blade, motor mount or another piece of hardware has loosened. It’s always wise to ask your HVAC contractor to locate the source and re-secure it, because loose hardware can fly off and cause costly equipment damage.
- Loud knocking or banging. If the sound originates in the compressor, it can indicate a serious issue such as worn rings. Another possibility is a broken piston, and you may have to replace the compressor.
- Squeaking. If your HVAC system isn’t maintained professionally each year, the bearings may lack adequate lubrication, and you’ll hear a squeaking from the A/C.
- Screeching or wailing. Noises like these are heard if the fan belt isn’t well lubricated or it has slipped. It’s smart to have this issue addressed promptly, because your A/C won’t run if the belt comes off or wears out from friction.
- High-pitched hissing or screaming. If you’re hearing these noises coming from the compressor, shut down the equipment and call your HVAC specialist for help. Hissing or screaming is usually a sign that the compressor’s internal pressure has risen to a dangerous level.
If you need an expert diagnosis of strange A/C noises in your Bradenton or Sarasota home, please contact us at Aqua Plumbing & Air today.
Written by John Miller
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com