- The less frequently your system has to run, the longer it’s likely to last. Turning the temperature up when you leave for the day will cut wear on the parts and lower energy bills. Installing a programmable thermostat is the easiest way to lower energy costs because these devices “remember” your energy-saving temperature changes for you.
- Lower the cooling load indoors by sealing air leaks around window and exterior door frames and making sure that all the windows in your home are tightly closed and locked. A locked window lets in far less air.
Use Ceiling Fans
Moving air always helps you feel cooler and fans can help you stay comfortable at higher temperatures. Ceiling fans improve the comfort in an entire room and use little electricity.
- Nothing goes further than routine maintenance for your air conditioner or heat pump. Checking the air filter monthly and changing it when necessary will improve A/C efficiency. When the filter becomes clogged with dust, the airflow slows through the air handler, prolonging the amount of time the whole system has to run.
- Keeping the outdoor condenser clean throughout the summer also helps your system operate efficiently. Clear away any vegetation around the condenser and hose it off periodically to remove dust.
- Given how much these systems run, annual professional maintenance will keep them running smoothly as long as possible. HVAC technicians will make adjustments, clean the parts, and verify that the refrigerant level is within the manufacturer’s specifications. They can spot small problems that could escalate into something larger, saving you money and ensuring your comfort through the cooling season.
The pros at Aqua Plumbing & Air have been providing HVAC services for homeowners in the Sarasota and Bradenton areas since 1974. We can help you improve A/C efficiency through maintenance and adjustments. Contact us today to learn more.
Written by John Miller
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com